This has historical reasons:
UNIX like operating systems only use a "New Line" Byte
at the end of each written line, while DOS based operating
systems such as Windows use two bytes:
a "New Line" plus "Carriage Return".
So if you read a text file that was saved on a UNIX like
operating system under Windows it will look as if everything
was written on one single line, because the "CR" Byte is
missing at the end of each line.

Workaround: There are shareware and freeware editors for
Windows which will automatically recognize a text file
that was originally written under UNIX / Linux and
display it correctly. You can find such text editors
at WinFiles:  www.winfiles.com .

There are also lots of Linux tools that allow to convert
DOS and UNIX files back and vice versa. You will find
them here:   www.linuxberg.com

DJ.