did you do "configure" before attempting "make"?

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 9:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Installing apps from source code

I'm brand new to Linux - used Unix a long time ago, but don't remember
much -
I've downloaded a file manager in the form of source code, and need to do a
"make" to compile it - typing "make" at the shell prompt tells me that there
is
no "make" in my searchpath, and I tried to do a File Find, and there doesn't
seem to be an executable called "make" - I have tried to upgrade in Expert
mode
and select as many C++ related libraries, etc. as I could find, but still
don't
seem to have the elusive "make" command - anyone know specifically which
package(s) I need to install? I don't have room for ALL of the developement
packages in the Mandrake install.....