[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :

> I'm brand new to Linux - used Unix a long time ago, but don't remember much -
> I've downloaded a file manager in the form of source code, and need to do a
> "make" to compile it - typing "make" at the shell prompt tells me that there is
> no "make" in my searchpath, and I tried to do a File Find, and there doesn't
> seem to be an executable called "make" - I have tried to upgrade in Expert mode
> and select as many C++ related libraries, etc. as I could find, but still don't
> seem to have the elusive "make" command - anyone know specifically which
> package(s) I need to install? I don't have room for ALL of the developement
> packages in the Mandrake install.....

It simply stands in the package 'make-3.77-11mdk' on the mdk CD. Try to
install it, and you should be much more successfull.
When you have to search for such things, you should consider using a
good command line to search for it. Mount your mandrake cdrom and type :
for i in `ls /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/*.rpm` ; do rpm -qpl $i |grep make
&& echo $i ; done

HTH
Flupke