On Sun, 02 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> Anthony Huereca wrote:
> >
> > As we all know, X crashes every once in a while, causing us to have to kill
> > it. However, I was wondering if there was a way to kill X without being root.
> > The reason is that my brother had X crash on him, and you can't kill it while
> > being a user, it says "Operation not premitted", and I don't want to give him
> > the root password. So is there a way to kill X as a regular user? Or if there
> > isn't, then what exactly would someone do to get back to a working GUI?

use sudo. have your brother's userid in sudoers pointing to a script which
contains a single line "killall X". Set the execution to nopasswd. this way,
your brother will have root privs to execute one script, which has the ability
to kill X.

> Ummm... I take it this means that Cntrl-Alt-BackSpace didn't work?

Usually it would, but what if X decided to crash and take out your keyboard on
the way.

 --
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)