Kirk....lilo can't keep you from booting with a floppy because
you set the system bios to boot whatever device you want to be
the boot device.  If you tell the bios to try the floppy first
or to only boot from the floppy then if there is a bootable disc
present in the drive, your system will boot with whatever is on
that floppy.

You can boot your Linux installation from a floppy forever, but
I wouldn't say it's a particularly good idea, and I certainly
wouldn't say that it would be best.  If it makes you more
comfortable, than it's probably a good short term solution, but
you'll eventually probably get tired of the slowness of a floppy
boot and begin using lilo (or lilo in conjunction with a
commercial multi-boot loader like Boot Magic).

Alan