On 5/04/00 0:48, Alan Shoemaker [EMAIL PROTECTED] is reported to have said:

>Kirk....lilo can't keep you from booting with a floppy because
>you set the system bios to boot whatever device you want to be
>the boot device.  If you tell the bios to try the floppy first
>or to only boot from the floppy then if there is a bootable disc
>present in the drive, your system will boot with whatever is on
>that floppy.

Doesn't lilo specify what type of file system will be on the floppy?
Maybe that's why I couldn't boot off a dos floppy...

>You can boot your Linux installation from a floppy forever, but
>I wouldn't say it's a particularly good idea, and I certainly
>wouldn't say that it would be best.  If it makes you more
>comfortable, than it's probably a good short term solution, but
>you'll eventually probably get tired of the slowness of a floppy
>boot and begin using lilo (or lilo in conjunction with a
>commercial multi-boot loader like Boot Magic).

What does Boot Magic do?  Does it do the same as lilo, but under Windows?

It's not really that slow to boot from a floppy....  But it would be
easier if I didn't have to.

Kirk

                               vice versa
 Translations - French to English, English to French | Technical Writing
 Traductions francais-anglais, anglais-francais      | Redaction technique
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.mcelhearn.com
    Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France