Troy Sherman wrote:

> Is using IP MASQ safe? I have it running on my linux machine, and i went to
> www.grc.com and tried the ShieldsUp that tests your security and it said i
> had some ports open like ftp, and mail and others. I need to use these
> things, but if it's not safe to do on linux, i guess i'll just go back to
> windows. How can i fix this??

IP MASQ is just usefull to access the internet from your private
(non-routable) LAN.
If you want to enable some protection, you have to configure other
parmaters controled by ipchains and tell him to DENY incoming packets
from the internet on the ports you want to close, with commands like :
        ipchains -A input -i ethXX -j DENY

I'd suggest you to read the firewall-HOWTO, the ipchains-HOWTO, and the
man ipchains for further details.

HTH
Flupke