I'm trying to install Mandrake 7.0 on a Pentium 120 PC
with a 24x (Wearnes?) CD-ROM drive. After I updated my
BIOS so I could boot from CD-ROM, I tried it. The
machine recognized the CD-ROM and I saw the Linux boot
messages going by. When a box on the screen said
"Initializing CD-ROM...", however, it paused. After a
minute or two, without an error message (that I could
see), everything shut itself back down again. Has
anyone heard of this problem? Is there any way around
it or am I totally stuck?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give...
David Murphy