why do things crash? hmmmmm

this was infact a problem with windows, a timing bug Amd 350Mhz+ were just
too quick for windows,
Cyrix and Intel process obviously wern't ;->
> Windows98SE works for me. It crashes
> only when I try
> something that I shouldn't... Like running OpenGL
> screensavers (Savage4
> drivers don't allow GL accellerated savers to function). Application
> crashes (read:Games!) happen because of instability of my video card.
> Linux never crashes with the same hardware, then again, there's no 3D
> accelleration for the Savage4 to crash it.

this is usually a driver quality issue, which boils down to a few things.
1:- Quality of the driver development kit (windows/Linux etc... me thinks)
2:- 'Protection' given by the kernel and api (windows/Linux again)
3:- build quality of the drivers  well this is the oem's responsibility.
4:- reliability of the hardware
5:- driver compatibility, and configuration

windows nt 3.xx had good driver protection, the drivers could crash and the
system would still run. (in theory)
windows nt 4  less protection, bad drivers can kill the server
windows nt 5(2000) similar protection to 95 , ie flaky anything dead
computer.

I'm not sure how Linux handles protection but I've had a fileing system and
a video driver crash the computer has still been running. manly down to bad
configuration.

any how the quality of the final driver usually lies with the oem and not
windows/linux(unless there certified drivers),
but a poor os makes bullet-proofing a driver a near impossibility, and ends
up with massive drivers.