Hi all,

In case anyone else has the same problem I was having, I wanted to post how
I got it to work.

My problem:
After installing this NIC, mandrake 6.1 didn't recognize it - during linux
install, the tulip driver and other suggested drivers would not initialize
the card. I tried several suggestions I found in the mail archives and from
other lists but nothing worked. Even tried another distribution - same
problem. I read books, man pages, how-tos, you name it.

Solution:
I finally went back to the obvious - the driver diskette that came with the
card. Lo and behold it had a linux subdir with a readme. Readme said to
download latest tulip.c and a supporting header file from:
FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/tulip.c   and
      FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/kern_compat.h

The readme's compile instruction didn't work, but the tulip file had a
compile instruction commented in the bottom of the file. That compile
command was successful. Next step was a "depmod -a" . Then check options in
conf.modules and set accordingly. I tried a "modprobe tulip" (after copying
new tulip.o file to proper directory - also spelled out in readme) and it
worked !!  I had to tweak one or 2 things in the network setup from what I
originally had and then all was fine. Also, I did make sure from first
Mandrake install that PnP was turned off in the BIOS.

I noticed also that in the Mandrake update section of their webpage there is
some type of update for the tulip driver, so possibly that will take care of
this as well. This is a very inexpensive card ($15 !) and now works like a
charm - fine for simple home networking.

So there you have it..
Cheers,
philomena