Huelskamp, VT wrote:

> During installation I noticed that one of the packages was "office"  is this star
>office?  how do you access the program?  or do I need to download star office?
>
> VT Huelskamp
> USDA

Could even be office for kde, which I think is called koffice or k office with a space.

To see what this is (might want to start with the last method mentioned and then begin
at the top, here):

a) If office is installed and it's installed from an rpm, then run

        rpm -qi office

     You may need to give more information, depending on the name of this package.

b) If office is an rpm package and it's not installed, then go to the directory where
the
    rpm file is located and install the package by running

      rpm -vv -ivh  --test {package-name}.rpm

        {package-name} can be just office*, but use the fullest unique portion of the
name
         if there are other, completely different packages beginning with office.

      If this test works, then rerun the command without the --test option.

      Then, run

              rpm -qi {package-name}

       This will tell you what the package is.

        Afterwards, if you just installed the package to query what it is, then remove
it if
        you don't want it installed, using

              rpm -e {package-name}

c) If it's installed and not from a rpm package, or not one by the same name, then
you'll want to do an rpm query to find out if it belongs to a package and which
one.  See the rpm
man page for the various query options (I believe there's one for this).  If you don't
know how to display man pages, then it's

            man {command}

For rpm {command would be replaced with} "rpm".

d) If all of the above fail, or you just want a shortcut to your answer, and office is
installed, then simply run it.  If it installed from the Mandrake cdrom,
then there should no danger in running this application.  If it did not come with the
Mandrake cdrom, which means you downloaded the application, then start with
step 'a', but run rpm to check the
signature and validity of the rpm package, first, that is, if it's not installed yet.
This is done by running rpm with the -K option, and if this reports an
error, then  run rpm with the -K and --nopgp options, before trying to install.

Check the rpm man page to learn how rpm can be used.  Very important read.

mike