I am trying to set up a simple Peer to Peer network between 2 W98
machines and my mandrake Linux machine.

I will need to access a printer on one of the w98 machines as well as
all of the drives (both physical and logical) on both machines.

Eventually I'd like to access the external modem on one of the w98
machines from my Linux box.

To do the above I believe I need to configure Samba?

But unfortunately I've fallen at the first hurdle in the fact that the
setup procedure doesn't seem to have detected my NIC. It is a:-

3com Etherlink III ISA (3c509b-combo)

and is running in PnP mode in w98 (I'm currently duel booting).

I can't seem to get Linux to attempt to detect it again (I'm totally
new to Linux networking, but do have a very basic knowledge of
Linux/Unix).

Can someone tell me the best way to go about getting Linux to work with
my NIC?

Once that is sorted out, what is the best information resource in
getting Samba to work with a combination of Linux an w98?

Thank you for any help.
--
+44 (0)1922 641221/448905 07808 403927
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:37 +0100 Win98