andy barnes wrote:

> When you install an RPM, you have to be in root, don't you??
>
> OK..when you install, where does Linux put this program.. Bear with me
> as I'm used to a Windows environment, where it puts it either onto your
> C drive or into Program Files on C drive, and you kind find an .exe even
> if you can't see an icon to click..
>
> When you revert to user, I can't work out how to run a program after
> it's installed.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

In the rpm packager, kpackage or other, you can look where the computer
installs the different files, by clicking on the File list thing on top of
the package description.

Nornally the executable fiiles will be installed in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin
or /usr/share/bin. The documentation in /usr/doc, /doc or thelike.

In Linux there are no directories where all the stuff of one programm is
put. The binaries of all programms are put togther as are the docs etc.

A bit confusing when comming from a Micr$oft Window$, but if you have to
administrate the hole stuff, its a lot easier!!

P.