Andy,

Before we start... let's drift back to windows for a second...  For installations, you
just click the install file and it pretty
much does everything for you.  RPM files are also capable of this - IF the author
included the icon, documentation, and a Kmenu
entry.  This is not always the case.

I'll assume you're using KDE.  You can do all of this logged in as a regular user.
Activate the Drakeconf icon on your desktop.  It
will ask you for the superuser password.  Once in, you will see the button for
Kpackage.  Use Kpackage to open your RPM file.

When you are installing with RPM files, the Package Manager (Kpackage) will list every
file that it's going to put into your system.
If you didn't see it, you can have Kpackage search for it (in Kpackage).  Then you can
look at the file list.  Generally, the
executables go into "/usr/bin" or "/usr/bin/local".  The documentation usually drops
into "/usr/doc".  Also, check for an icon file
(not always there).  You may also see file entries for your Kmenu.  If the RPM came
with all the goodies, you can just right-click
your kpanel and choose "restart".  Check your Kmenu for the installed application.

If you don't see a menu entry, you can make one.  Open up File Manager as superuser.
Select "Edit > GlobalApplications".  It will
list the files and folders responsible for your Kmenu layout.  In windows, it's like
right-clicking the start button and choosing
"Explore" so you can edit the "start" menu.  Back to Linux... So go into your desired
folder and right-click>new-application.  Fill
in the blanks, choose your icon, and click okay.  Restart your Kpanel and it should
show up on your Kmenu.

Setting up MIMEs...  While in File Manager as superuser, select "Edit > GlobalMIME
Types" and there you go.  Between this and "Edit
> GlobalApplications" you should be able to link file types with their corresponding
>applications.

Ask again if I forgot to answer something.

Seve