Mike & Tracy Holt wrote:

> GNU is a 'recursive acronym' which stands for 'GNU is Not Unix'.
> Mike

That's the superficial way of looking at the world.  If you really want to know
what something means, then you've got to dig a little deeper.

http://www.gnu.org tells the interested all about it.

E.g.

You go up to someone and ask them, where's town xxxx and the person says "it's
over there".  You look at the general direction their nose is pointing in, or
their finger.  Do you find that helpful?  Maybe, but certainly not much,
especially if you don't see the sign to the entrance of the town from where
you're standing.

"GNU is Not Unix" can simply refer to the fact that the products aren't
developed strictly for Unix, but instead ported to many platforms.

Still, that doesn't do much justice to the meaning of GNU and all that's gone
into it.  GNU is a relatively major story in, or part of, the history of
computer sciences.

Read all about it at the above url.

mike