I agree, sometimes it's hard to explain why I like it (Linux) so much.  I
can't really, in good conscience, try to get everyone I know to convert to
Linux because of the simple fact - most people don't care to spend their
evening 'configuring' things, they just want to sit down and write and email,
browse ESPN, or do their taxes!  Windows may not be known for stability (I
hear iMac's have that market cornered!), but for the everyday stuff, my wife
(who is definitely NOT interested in how / why the computer works) can get
*stuff* done.

Mike

George Jones wrote:

> Ok, so I had my little fun with this. Let's be real here.
>
> I've been using computers since I was 8 years old (I'm now 28), I've seen
> 'em come and go. This little debate over Linux vs Windows reminds me of
> the ST vs Amiga or Atari800 vs Commodore64 bbs flame wars. I've owned the
> following: Timex/Sinclair 1000, CBM Pet, C64, Atari 800xl, TI 994/A, Atari
> 520ST, Atari 1040STE, Amiga 500, and a few PC's (from 1994 - up). Point
> is, I've used a few OS'es and because of that, I can honestly say this:
> Windows9x is the best thing going for the average user.
>
> I'll catch hell for that remark, but let me explain myself here. I have a
> total of 4 pc's in my apartment. Of those, 3 of them have Linux and
> Windows on it. (the 4th is my entertainment machine, gaming and DVD hooked
> up to my TV). I use each OS extensively and have come to this conclusion:
> Windows is for the masses and Linux is a throwback (A good thing though!)
> to the good 'ole days of computing. Windows is easy, it's meant to be.
> Linux is not, I'm not sure if it was meant to be or not. In Windows, if an
> application doesn't exist, you wait for it to be created (most windows
> users are not programmers). With Linux (just like the good 'ole days), if
> an application doesn't exist, you write it yourself or get help to create
> it. I love that about Linux. Personally, I don't want Linux to be too easy
> to use. I think it's better that the people that have and use it, know
> something about it.With Windows, that's not necessary.
>
> (Note: my last email was sent by mistake...)

The Penguins are coming!!!

Michael Holt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]