Gerald E Peck wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 08:42:37 -0700 [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >[stuff deleted]
> >
> > My own deductions for the above
> > 1- "/" is a Primary Partition and (I was making mine 4GB at first)
> > must
> > reside below the 1024th cylinder boundary, this means it must both
> > begin
> > and end before the 1024th cylinder. However if you are running a
> > dual boot
> > system you will also have to have win/dos within the same 1024th
> > cylinder
> > boundary.
>
> "/" does not need to be a primary partition.  It  can be an extended
> partition.  It doesn't need to reside below the 1024th cylinder boundary
> on a dual boot system.  "/boot" does, however.

That's one good reason for placing /boot on a separate filesystem partition
of its own.

Does /boot need to be below the 1024th cyl boundary if the boot manager or
lilo is located in the mbr?  I've read about this a couple of times, but
because I don't do installs often, and haven't run into any problems due to
/boot not being below cyl 1024, the memory is vague.

> > 2- "/boot" I will assume should be a Logical Partition (as you are
> > restricted to only 4 Primary Partitions on a hard drive and you want
> > conserve them for when they are needed the most), although the
> > 10-20MB size
> > recommendation also does not work with item 4's size of 5MB.
>
> "/boot" needs to be a primary partition.  It should be the first
> partition and it should lie below the 1024 boundary.

I thought my /boot partitions were not primary, but did the configuration
using the install program and didn't need to specify the type of partition
in this sense.  I'm not sure how to check the type, because fdisk doesn't
show this information, unless some option needs to be used with fdisk.

mike