I have the same hardware setup.

For my modem to be seen I had to unjumper PNP on the card and then jumper it to a
specific COM port - I chose COM2 and it worked fine.

For the sound card you must enter, from the command line, not X, "sndconfig", the
card will then be detected, and the necessary entries automatically made.

Good Luck - let us know what happens.