Dave Lindsay wrote:

> On my Athlon 500@927, Mandrake 7 just flies along, but it's a gaming
> system so it will likely be in Windows most of the time. I am setting up
> my old P100 as a internet sharing gateway for the other computers, but
> it has an ancient 2 meg ATI Mach64 GX video card, and the drivers for it
> just don't want to work. I can't get anything above 8 Bit Colour at
> 640x480, even thought it can do 16bit at 1024x768.. Anyone else have
> this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

The XFree86 drivers for older ATI are a bit too aggressive.  You
can try various options to reduce performance, such as "noaccel"
A listing of those which will work on your card will be found at
www.xfree.org. In addition, take the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and
with an editor remove all the modelines you do not need, leaving
in only the 1024x768 that will fit your monitor's sync.  Set
DefaultColorDepth at 16 and then add the slowdowns one at a time,
running startx after each to test.  Chances are high that you
will find a viable combination.

Civileme

Just curious, why do you want a monitor on a sharing gateway?  I
assume you plan to make it a masquerading gateway and possibly
your mailserver using one of the dynamic dns services and rarely
use it as a workstation.  Anyway, with Webmin, you can control it
with a GUI interface from a browser on any of your other
machines.  You can find a mandrake rpm for webmin at your
favorite cooker mirror.