Chris....Off the top of my head I remember that when the name of
the directory that served as the mount point for windows
partitions contained uppercase letters and you used kfm to try
and access these directories (if you accessed them in a console,
this didn't happen) that the system would lock up (even if you'd
just navigate with kfm to the /mnt directory and the mount point
directory in the /mnt directory that had the upper case
characters in its name was being inhabited by a mounted windows
partition).  The thread was about user access to windows
partitions, so also to make the partitions writeable by users an
addition of  umask=0 to the corresponding line in /etc/fstab was
needed as well as getting rid of the uppercase characters in the
mount point directory.

Alan