I am running Mdk 7-2 with 13 GB HD and DMA33. When I ran my first
hdparm -t to test the drive read speed the results were only 3 MB/sec and the
RealPlayer radio I had running was shut down.
        After setting the dma and unmask flags to on ,the test speed jumped to
14 MB/sec and RealPlayer did not cut out.
        What are the average disk read speeds to be expected with such a hard
drive and is there anything else to optimize speed ?
         This seems like a worthwhile tweak for those who suspect their hd
speed is slowing down the system. Just like to pass this along fyi and to see
what others are getting on this speed test.