I do not have Linux installed yet, so I guess that makes me a newbie.
I've used UNIX on various platforms off and on since about 1982 so I'll
switch to the expert list if most of you think I should.

I've had various dual boot or multiboot systems.  They have all seemed
fragile,
with strict requirements about what system to load in what order. A failure
in
one OS seemed to require reinstalling that OS, and reinstalling wiped out
the
other systems or made them inaccessible.  I wanted to create an environment
where I could add and remove operating systems in any order, with little or
no
fix up efforts.  This month, Linux, NT4SP3, NT4SP6; next month FreeBSD,
Linux
out of the box, Linux with my hacked kernel, Win98.  System commander seemed
like the best tool for the job.

I've got a mother board with lots of boot options, small single partition
C&D drives,
a new, empty 13GB (E to whatever), IDE CD-ROM, and SCSI CD-R.

When I saw Linux Mandrake Gold Pack 2000 contained System Commander I was
delighted.  I think it is fairly new.  The System Commander doc is dated
Dec. 99.
There are no version numbers that I see, except the box claims the kernel is
2.2.13.

I can boot the CD. I also followed the clear directions to make a bootable
floopy from
the images directory, using a DOS system.  The floppy works and I can get
into the
installation.

The docs tell how to use system commander, and claim it is a DOS program,
but where is
it, or where did it go? I can not find it on any drive. The loader (floppy
or CD) does not invoke it.
One doc implies it is loaded from the floppy. Another says use CD n.5! I
assume the bang is
excitement, not factorial, but none of the Cds have numbers.

Sorry for such a long winded question.  Thanks in advance for any answers or
leads.

                                                Chuck Bradley
                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]