I'm following this list hoping for a lead about a
totally different problem.  I followed the topic of
"scsi boot linear mode" because it blended into the closest
topic I could find.  Anyway, this response is because of

>if i don't get any advice not to try i will go ahead and try using this
>option but i'd welcome advice from anyone who knows about it as i have
>important stuff on other partitions on this scsi drive and currently my
>backup tape drive is dead.

Put it on floppies!
Back up the stuff that is important.  Put it on multipe media even if
it has not changed.  You can get an OS back in a few hours; you can get
dozens of applications back in a weekend.  But you can not recover your
great American (or somewhere) novel, or your 50 sonnets on virtues, or your
picture of a dead grandchild or grandparent, or the passwords to your
on-line brokerage accounts, or your 175 best recipes ever,
or, you get the idea.

For most of us, everything we create in our life,
that can be saved conveniently as bytes, can be saved
conveniently as bytes on a single floppy.  For most of us,
a single floppy holds all we want to leave on a computer
to most of the world.
You artistic types get more space, if you remember to
BACK UP THE IMPORTANT STUFF.  Pictures or sound take more
space than text.  If you do not think it is worth backing up,
then you do not think it is worth saving.

Anyway, BACK UP THE IMPORTANT STUFF and do not worry about
the trivia of the moment. With backups, anyone can be brave.

Best wishes for a successful installaion and successful use
of Linux.

                                        ceb