i just downloaded ver 3.02 of kpilot and decided to try my first
compiling operation (compiling-is that the word?)

it didn't go well, here is what happened:

[root@localhost kpilot-3.0.2]# ./configure
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you must specify one
[root@localhost kpilot-3.0.2]# ./configure --host=i586
checking host system type... i586-pc-none
checking target system type... i586-pc-none
checking build system type... i586-pc-none
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for a C-Compiler...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.
[root@localhost kpilot-3.0.2]#

two apparent problems there:
1. makeinfo - is this an rpm because i've searched my install cd and i
can't find it
2. C compiler - please explain

where am i going wrong,what other info should i give?

bascule