Now that I've got Mandrake 6.1 installed, I found out that it does not
like my S3 Trio 3D video card at any setting. I understand (from the
list archives) that these problems have been solved in the latest
version (7.0x).

I've tried doing an FTP upgrade from the Mandrake mirror sites, but
always get the same response of  "bad server response...can't find
second stage disk" ,or file, or something like that. I have tried three
or four different FTP sites with the same results so I figure it must be
me.

An example of the ftp site entries I am using is:

IP Address: ftp.math.utah.edu
Directory: /pub/linux/Mandrake/current/Mandrake/base/

Any suggestions(besides buying the disk again)?