If you compiled a new kernel, then you created a 'bzImage' or 'zImage'.
So, do: (xxx is what you want)
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage  /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.xxxxxx
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.xxxxxxx
rm /boot/System.map
ln -s /boot/System.map-2.2.xxxxx  /boot/System.map

Then edit the file etc/lilo.conf and change
image=/boot/vmlinuz-xxxxx to your new vmlinuz.

Finally do: lilo.
That's all.
Eric