On Tue, 16 May 2000, Michael wrote:

>Paul,
>Thanks for the heads up. I only venture forth into Bill's world when
>forced. So you use Pine, eh? I am comfortable with NS' mail program;
>guess if comfort was my criterion I wouldn't be on this list, though, so
>where would you point me to in terms of help files, to be able to get it
>(Pine)up and running?

Hi Michael,

First off: Pine is not graphical. It is all text-based although in a
konsole-window it reacts to mouse clicks (reall neat). I picked pine
because I don't want colored backgrounds and music and jumping images in
my mail. I am colorblind, and most of the colored background stuff makes
it impossible for me to read the actual mail.

Pine is a Mail User Agent. That means you use it to type mail and tell it
to dump it somewhere. Then a Mail Transport Agent picks up the mail and
sends it out.
NS Mail does this all for you, it directly connects to SMTP and POP
servers.

For MTA you have several choices:

Sendmail (standard in the package, but see the "Sendmail in a nutshell"
and be scared)
  -used ver much, terrible (for me) to configure
Qmail (www.qmail.org)
  -Easier to install (although that gave me some extra grey hairs too) and
apparently more safe than Sendmail. ALthough for 1 person, that is not a
big deal I guess.

To pull mail from a server you can either use FETCHMAIL (standard in the
package) or Getmail (which I use)

Now you know this, decide if you want to venture into Pine or Mutt (also
text based) and let the world know...

Paul

Law of Life's Highway:
If everything is coming your way,