Fri. 5/19 Steve wrote

>No, I can connect to their service using hyperterminal or >Minicom, but
after I
>enter the userid/password, I get nothing but garbage >back from them No
>additional prompts or anything intelligible

   The "garbage" display in minicon is normal. It simply indicates that your
ISPs computer has started PPP.
   Try this.
    Verify that your ISP info is still correct  in  /etc/resolv.conf.
    Run minicom
     After you get the garbage display:
      press Ctrl+A and then press Q ( this exits minicom without resetting
your modem.)
     From the command line, log in as root, and type the following
    # pppd -d detach /dev/modem &

    After a few seconds, fingers crossed, you should be connected. Test it
by launching Netscape or another internet app.

    Post back if this works and if it does not we will think of  something
else.
    We Will get you on the Net.

    Charles