"Thomas, Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is the second time this has happened to me.  The first time I thought
> it was just me being dumb and messing something up.  The second time I
> believe I can say the StarOffice install did something.  I have mandrake 7
> set to use the graphic login.  After installing StarOffice, when I
rebooted,
> the computer will boot and load everything but when it tries to load the
> graphical login, it just starts cycling.  The monitor will sync (you can
> hear it click) and the numlock light on the keyboard will flash.  It did
> that for over an hour.
>
> Questions;
>
> 1.  How do I stop it from hitting the graphical login?  I didn't make a
boot
> disk because I'm an idiot.
You can try typing "linux 3" at the boot prompt.  this should boot you into a
nongraphical mode and give you a chance to fix things.  after logging in, try
typing startx and see if this successfully takes you into your desktop.  If it
does, then just edit your /etc/inittab
Find the line:
id:5:initdefault
and change the 5 to a 3

Then you will always boot in text mode and you can just give the startx
command.
HTH,
Mike

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol
than alcohol has taken out of me."
        --Winston Churchill

http://webmail.netscape.com.