On Thu, 25 May 2000, StormeRider wrote:

>>I have not heard anywhere that PNG is a standard anywhere. If it is, and
>>Netscape does not support it, then NS is wrong. If PNG is not yet an
>>accepted standard on webpages, then I am sorry for stating this again, but
>>then the person who put the image there is not comforming to the
>>standards, and this then can happen.
>
>Define what you mean by "a standard". PNG is a standard for a graphic type;
>ie, all PNGs follow the same compression and layout of raster information. I

Since this thread is about netscape and .png... The standard I refer to
here concerns the standard graphic formats that are supported by the
mainstream of browsers. As far as I know, those are GIF and JPG. PNG is
new to me. I did notice though, that it is the default format for the
Gimp.

>do not know of _any_ standard, including the W3C, which lists what image
>types a "compatible" browser should be capable of displaying. If you find such
>a standard... please send it my way, I would consider it interesting reading

I have no proof in print for these things to be standards, but in the 8
years that I am on the net now I have noticed just about any uncustomized
browser to get in trouble on image formats other than the 2 I
mentioned. I would always need plugins for different stuff (except BMP's
in IE, but what kind of format is that for on the web anyway).

>>My use of Linux has nothing to do with the ability or disability to view
>>certain kinds of graphics on webpages. *grin*
>>Just got sick and tired of MS-stuff and the strange screens of errors they
>>incorporate in their systems.
>
>Know the feeling. Thats why I have 11 machines... and only two of them run
>Windows. :)

Haha!! I only have windows on a machine for my work (teleworking has no
support for Linux yet), and to read out the digital camera (can't get
Gphoto to read the pictures for some reason although it is listed as
supported).

>>I wonder if the windows version of netscape does PNG..
>>
>>Paul
>
>Not sure... it might, I don't have it installed to test it with.
>
>--Nathan

I almost feel tempted to try it out someday... But not in a hurry, since
it is only windows. *grin*

Paul

Nothing is as easy as it looks.

)0(----[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]-------------)0(