On Mon, 29 May 2000, Michael wrote:

>Paul,
>Does this mean I can go ahead and install the 3 cd's I got with the cheapo
>version of "7.0 complete" without worrying that I will "degrade" my current
>7.02
>install. And does it mean that I can just throw any distro over mandrake
>and pick and choose as to what I feel are the best of each, rolling it into
>my own custom version?

Whoa, amigo. Stop right there. If you do an "upgrade" of things from a
LOWER version, then your existing program versions will be downgraded
too. I would strongly advise against that!!

My history consists of Redhat and Mandrake, sorry if I confused
you. Mandrake is built on Redhat. If you upgrade Mandrake to a newer Suse
or Debian or whatever, I do not know what the consequences are.
The programs that are not on the distro CD that I mean, is the stuff that
I installed "by hand", so to speak. These keep working, and settings are
maintained. I cannot vouch for other distributions.
But I would not downgrade.

Paul

>You writ:
>My Linux setup is a long history of upgrades. Started with RedHat 5.0,
>went to RedHat 6.0, dumped Mandrake 6.1 over that, and now I upped it to
>Mandrake 7.02. All the programs that are not on the distribution CD keep
>working correctly, I have not had any problem with anything yet.
>Also setting up the drivers for my AGP videocard (Diamond Speedstar) and
>the settings in XF86Config were left alone.
>
>Paul

Friendship: lying awake over someone else's problems

)0(----[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]-------------)0(
http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208
Registered Linux User 174403