Hello!

The installation manuals do not say anything about the "cylinder 1024"
problem. This is the /boot or /root have to be installed within the
1024th cylinder.
I have Windows 98, DOS 6.2 and Linux-Mandrake 7.0 Air Version in my
13GB Quantum Fireball HD.
First time I tried to install Mandrake Linux in an empty partition
(after 9GB Windows partition), I got an error message in LILO
installation (because /root is after cylinder 1024) and then I was not
able to boot from HD (Linux and Windows).
Fortunately there is a "magic" fdisk (DOS) command:
fdisk /mbr
that restores the MBR, and then I can boot Windows again from HD. Linux
only boot from the diskete.

I decided then start from the begining, because I do not have Partition
Magic.
I was not shure if I can use the DiskDrake to make a partition resize
without destroying any data (in DOS partition). Do you know that?

What I did:
1. I made one DOS FAT16 400MB partition (with dos fdisk) for DOS 6.2
and I installed it there (dos C: disk)
2. I made one DOS FAT16 16MB partition (with dos fdisk), without
installing anything there (dos D: disk)
3. I made one FAT32 9GB partition (dos E: disk) (with W98 fdisk), and I
installed Windows98 there.
6. I made one FAT16 1.5GB partition to put data to be shared by DOS,
Linux and Windows98

After that I have deleted partion D: and make a new one smaller (6MB. I
had to make a new one because Windows98 did not boot as disk D: (it has
to be as disk E: as installed)

The remaining space was for Linux:
7. I made 128MB swap partion
8. I made about 1.5GB for /root

Then a got the 1024 error message, and  created a partition after the
dos D: partition, with 8MB for /boot (within cylinder 1024)

Summary of partitions:
hda1: DOS C: (400MB) - DOS 6.2
hda5: DOS D: (6MB)- Without data
hda9: Linux /boot (8MB)
hda6: DOS E: (9GB) - Windows 98
hda7: Linux /swap (128MB)
hda8: Linux /root (1.5GB)

With above configuration LILO was automatically installed without any
questions or errors, and I can boot from HD to Linux or Windows98. If I
want to boot to DOS 6.2, I make F8, after boot Windows98 and I choose
"old DOS option".

Everything seems to work fine, but I am shure that should be a simpler
solution for that.
There is on error in /hda5 because Linux can not mount it. I think that
is a too small partition.

Is there any suggestion to make this job simpler?

Why Linux-Mandrake installation do not ask if we want to install LILO?
It is not good see our MBR destroyed by a faulty LILO installation.

If I am shure that DiskDrake can make a partion resise without
destroying dos data, I would make the following partition:
DOS c: (400MB)
Linux /boot (10MB or a little more). Suggestions for the optimal size?
Windows 98 D: (9GB)
FAT16 E: (1.5GB)
Linux /swap (128MB)
Linux /root (remaining)

I read a lot of installation instructions. None of them shown a map
like this: the safest way to make the p+artitions to install linux.
Why?

Please make your suggestions, but specific suggestions, not general. As
newbie is very difficult to me understand some details and make my own
choices.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]