rharvey wrote:

> I setup a linux box with the server choice and high security.  I finally
> found the place to turn on the web service. http web services are running
> now. The ftp seems to be installed. all the info I have found says its all
> set up but I can't ftp into the server. I need ftp to upload my web pages.
> I also want telnet. It does not work either.  i can ping the server. I can
> go from the server to other computers thru telnet.
First, make sure you have the telnet-server package installed.
Then, enable the telnet and ftp servers in /etc/inetd.conf. I think you
just should uncomment the lines corresponding to the servers.
After you have done that, I think that it should be ok.

But if you care about security, I think you'd better forget about telnet
and install ssh instead.

> Is it the security level?
maybe the servers are not enabled with the high-security level (this
would not be surprizing. And even rather normal. telnet is NOT
secure!!!)

> do i need to re-install and set the secutity level down?
Even if you decide to change the security level, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO
REINSTALL LINUX! In fact, in theory, YOU NEVER HAVE TO REINSTALL
LINUX!!!! Everybody should be aware of that. I see too often people
saying "It didn't work so I reinstalled". Sorry, but that is NOT the
solution. We are here in a unix environnement. Forget about the BAD BAD
EVIL habits you had with Mikr0$oft.
(sorry for the shouting, but I really want to focus everybody's
attention about this point)

The security levels are handled by the msec package. Read the files in
/usr/doc/msec<version>/ for details about security levels and how to
change it.

> How do I get access to the services.. ( I do not have the gui auto loading.
> i can startx but i can't get any of the gui's to run..kde...gnome..ect...)
To access a graphical login from a root command prompt, type "init 5".
To automatically load the GUI login screen at startup, change the line
        id:3:initdefault:
        id:5:initdefault:
in your /etc/inittab file.

No window manager comes when you start X because (I think that) they are
not installed in the server installation. Install them from the mdk CD.

> so I guess any info sent on how to fix this will have to be no-gui commands.
Not anymore... :-)

> thanks in advance
> Robert

HTH