The install routine should give basic info such as how many partitions (&
of what names) the install will create and that one is very unlikely to get
the exact size they specify for any user-created partitions due to the way
hard drives allocate space (i.e. the hard drive will determine the exact
size, but that one can go back and jiggle the numbers before writing the
partitions.
    For the first time I have installed some different "flavors" of Linux.
This is a good idea, it helps one appreciate how good Mandrake is.  One has
to search the CD documents to know what is going to be done, or has been done
about something when there is no information in the install about a topic, as
is often the case (Caldera puts LILO at the head of the partition rather than
in the MBR without ever telling you  in the install, but the intro to KDE
within KDE is a nice idea).  Everyone presumes information that needs to be
explicit for a newbie.  AND it is very inconvenient to try to find the answer
to a question while in the middle of an install when one suddenly discoveres
that one needs to know something.  Yet I know that you also need to provide
"up front" information that someone more experienced would need, without
troubling them with all the newbie stuff.  That's why I have suggested a
"more info" button, but I would like to suggest that it be tied to the on
disc info.  I know trying to run an HTML browser from within the install is
very likely impractical.  At any rate, help info should be a "help" directory
on the CD with information by topic, one file for each specific topic so that
you can go to just where your question is going to be answered with a minimum
of effort.  Maybe with an overview of the whole process & links to the
individual subjects for people needing details.
    -Gary Prichard-

On 5/27 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralph F. De Witt) wrote:

For the next release I would like to the install partioning routines improved
so thaat it will take the users desired size and create it.  In my case it
keep
insisting in creating smaller partion then I wanted, the result was that I
could not load all the modules I wanted in my system. And this wiith over 20
gigs on the hard drive.

> CDRW
> -----
> Is there anyway you can facilitate a user being able to run these rather
than
> root.
>
> Also when I use the CDRW as a backup and then do a reinstall, everything I
> copy over is write protected. Is there a way to facilitate mass conversion
> write mode without using the command line to achieve this.

Would like to see this also.

Would like to see the latest version of Xfree version 4.o supportted. Would
like to see more 3d support for various cards.

> Cut and Paste:
> ----------
> Have finally learnt how to do this with the 3rd mouse key but agree this
seems
> to be an issue. The reasonably universal Ctl  X, C and V would be nice as
> Windows was not the only operating system to have this either. It appears to
> be reasonably common.
>
> TGZ File
> ------
> The idea of right clicking on a tar.gz file and then selecting extract would
> be well received.
>
> Star Office
> -------
> This program will undoubtedly take a prime seat on a very good portion of
> Linux work stations. Is there any chance that its initial installation can
be
> made a little easier as when I was using SuSE it installed a Star Office
icon
> on the desktop which made the final user installation just a click away
rather
> than opening the the Krpm to find out what directory the install program
sits.

Would also like to see the above three items happpen as well as seeing Star
Office 5.2 included.

Would also like to the full KDE 2.0 supported inclulding the Office suite.

> Good Points
> =========
> I like how mandrake comes ready for almost anything right out of the box, no
> compiling the kernel or tweaking lili.
>
> I like the icon layout on the desktop, very handy.
>
> I like the supermount not that I am used to it.
>
> I like the MP3 support supplied.
>
> I like the CDROM burner support provided.
>
> The install program is smooth, well done.

Agree with the above.  Mandrake 7.0 is the best. keep up the good work.  Keep
it simple for those of us coming over from Windows.

Ralph