When you ask your shell to execute a command without telling him where
it is, it looks for it in the directories specified in the $PATH
variable ("echo $PATH" to see it).

When you specify a directory (here : the . directory [=the current
directory]), it will search the command in the specified directory.

NB : If you don't want to be annoyed by that, you can add the ./
directory in the $PATH environnement variable. (PATH=$PATH:./)

As simple as that.

HTH
Flupke