I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, so here goes:  the '.' before
the slash (./) is sort of a 'wildcard'.  It means just look in the directory
that I'm in right now.  I'm sure that you're aware that just a plain slash
would mean that you want to look in the root directory for said file.

Hope that makes sense

~Mike