Hi -- My two cents worth

C is C (for the most part, except when you get to C++).  The biggest difference
between C distributions is the programming
environment.  In the NT world, Borland C++ and Microsoft C++ (for example) both work,
but you set up the "++" part of the
programs differently.  And the programming environment is an important part of C++
programming.

If you want to learn (relearn) C, try the book by Stephan Kochan.  It's green, with a
diamond on the cover.

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 09:09:39 -0400, vern wrote:

>Hello,
>Where to start?
>I am still in the transition mode, coming over from the
>darkside (microsoft/DOS/windows/BASIC &etc.) I tried to learn
>C about 10 years ago, when everyone had their own version.
>Before ANSI C was in full use. I had parts of a Borland compiler
>and did a few simple "Hello World!" type programs. Now I wonder if
>I need all new C reference manuals?? Since the advent of Linux and
>the GNU compilers and such. I'm leaning toward an O'Reilly book I
>just purchased a PERL manual (the camel book), and would like a
>similar book for modern day C.  Do they still use "linker" processes,
>and what became of a.out??  Does C still equal C, or are there "flavors"
>of C??
>Thanks,
>vern

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115
Voice: [216] 687-4820
Fax: [216] 523-7200