Steve, I'm on my windows machine at work, so I don't know the exact details
of the config file, but in your /etc/X11 directory there is a file called
XF86Config or XF86Config.4 or -4 for X version 4.0
Inside this file (use a text editor) there is a section for the colour depth
and screen modes, etc... I believe it's in a section called "Screen"...
anyway, there's a couple subsections called "Display".
In this you can change the "Viewport"  if there is one. If there isn't,
adding "Viewport" (without the quotes) and then the ration you want like 1 0
or 2 0, then you should get a virtual sized desktop the next time you
restart X.  As for the colour depth, before those "Display" subsections, add
the line DefaultColorDepth 24 or 32 or whatever depth you want as default.
I'm sorry that this is very wordy and very confusing.  I should look up a
config file for you...
#---------------
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "3Dfx Interactive Voodoo3"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultColorDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1152x864" "800x600" "640x480"
                ViewPort  0 0
        EndSubSection
EndSection
This is just an example... see above where it says "ViewPort 0 0"... that's
the virtual desktop of NONE, so there is no virtual desktop. If you already
have that line - experiment with it... even try commenting it out.

Good Luck.

Matt