This works!  I played with the xconf utility (text-based one) and it
makes the
user go thru the process of choosing mice, keyboards, monitors (or
defining one)
video cards (or again defining one, and software probing), and finally
display
parameters...

Oh, this is not the same machine as my laptop...its an HP vectra with an
MGA
Matrox G200 8MB chipset in it.  Please don't be confused that I changed
the thread
(sorry in advance).

Well, I blew up X on my first try and had to telnet into the box from
another
workstation (good thing I loaded network utilities!) and renamed the
XF86Config
file to .old so I could get back into the now panicking machine, and
thru telnet
reonfigured the X window system again (this time correctly, more or
less).
Virtual desktop, additional screen sizes, etc...COOOL!!  I can do this
stuff!

One remaining puzzle, and this is the money question. I can't get HP
OpenView to
display totally correctly locally (which is the reason I have the Linux
installed
in the first place).  All that is wrong is that the color to some of the
objects
flashes correct colors initially, but falls through to the default
colors (grey)
and this identifies the status of the underlying object.  Is this a
color depth
issue, or something else?  I have set the depth to 16 bits to avoid
overdriving
things too much (per the reccomendations of the linux-newbie.org website
XF86
configs page... ), running max monitor resolution of 1280x1024 @ 76hz.
I haven't
tried upping the depth, because I ran out of time last time, but I will
try it and
report back...

Thanks again Matt and  group!