Dear friends:

Well, as it turns out, there seems to be NO WAY to download the new
Mandrake 7.1 by FTP. Since 7.1 is on two CD rather than one CD, there is
a pause during the download install that has completely stumped me (and
probably others). I selected Custom, Normal for download and all of the
categories (except for the extra "Documentation" category) for a total
of 2.2 Gig or 764 packages. Each time (once from rpmfind a few days ago
and today from metalab.unc.edu), I got precisely the same results: the
download pauses on the file "kpppload", with nearly exactly half of the
packages still waiting to be downloaded, and suddenly moves on to the
next stage of install, namely, "Installing packages," "select your time
zone,", "configure your printer," etc. etc. until you get the ironic
message : Mandrake 7.1 successfully installed (which it most certainly
is NOT, as you find out if you try to use it).

Earlier tonight, a kind list member explained this mystery to us: the
first CD stops precisely here at "kpppload" and asks you to insert the
second CD.

Well, that's fine and dandy if you have the CD's (I am still waiting for
mine from LinuxLand). But what do you do if you are trying to download
and install MDK 7.1 by FTP?

I tried to download a minimal version (700 megs). Same problem.

I then tried to download an even more minimal version without KDE,
hoping to then return and upgrade and install KDE last. Again, same
problem. In fact, it refused to let me install at all without installing
KDE (where it once again stopped at precisely kpppload). In desperation,
I decided to download Mandrake with KDE ONLY (300 Megs) and then build
on that. No dice! Once again, with 3:20 to go and many packages left, it
once again stopped at kpppload and proceeded to "finish" the rest of the
installation process as if nothing had happened!

So, how do the rest of you do it? What' the secret formula, folks?

Thank you so much.

--
Benjamin and Anna Sher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]