From: Pete Clapham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 4:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] How do I install a PCMCIA card on Mandrake Linux
7.0

I had a similar problem under Mandrake 6.1 and solved it by upgrading to
7.0.  Under 6.1, I hadn't installed PCMCIA explicitly,
'cause I didn't have a PCMCIA card at that point), and even though the boot
script said it was started, it wasn't.  With the
version of 7.0 which I later purchased (Air; I borrowed another version to
see if it worked, and it didn't), PCMCIA support was
queried early in the installation, and I installed it on my laptop.  The
network adapter (a Linksys Ethernet card) appears to work.
(Can't use it for anything yet, but that's a Samba problem, not a PCMCIA
problem).

So --- are you sure that you've installed PCMCIA support?  It may be extreme
to reinstall from scratch, but this may solve your
problem.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:21:05 +0200 (CEST), Paul wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Michael Khachiki wrote:
>
>>I can't find any documents on how to install a No Name PCMCIA card in
Linux.
>>with out it I can't get on the net from Linux. Please let me know how
should
>>I go about installing a No Name PCMCIA (Modem and LAN) on a laptop. I have
>>tried "man pcmcia" on the system. It showed me where I can find the pcmcia
>>config file. when I looked in that file, I could not find my pcmcia in the
>>list. How should I go about configuring my PCMCIA card ???
>
>If you have a no name card, with no idea who or what made it, and equally
>no clue as to the drivers needed, I am afraid you have a big problem.
>If you could figure out the brand of it, or what
>taiwanese/singapore/indian company made it, you could still stand a
>chance. Otherwise my bets would be on a pcmcia card that is supported by
>Linux. I know this is not the answer you want.
>
>Paul
>
>--
>Yesterday is Past; Tomorrow is the Future;
>Today is a Gift...That is why we call it The Present.
>
>)0(    [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]    )0(
>http://nlpagan.net -  ICQ 147208
>Registered  Linux  User   174403

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115
Voice: [216] 687-4820
Fax: [216] 523-7200