I still haven't recieved any help with this and since upgrading to 7.1 it
seems worse

I installed MD 7.1, I have a creative cdrw 4224 and I can play music on it
just fine under linux, however when I go to access it for files, the light
comes on and after a few minutes I get an error message that the contents of
the directory /mnt/cdrom can not be displayed....now the weird....I can't
eject the cd and the light stays on. If I don't completely power down the
machine the cdrom isn't recognized by the bios on the reboot.  If I
completely shut down the power for the recomended 15 seconds and turn it
back on my cdrom is back in the boot list again.

Can anyone help me with all this weirdness?

I am running an AMD K6-3 450, 128 mb ram, on a gigabyte MB, with the Ali
Aladdin V AGPset rev 5.

I have had problems with the cd-rw in linux from the begining and haven't
gotten it fixed, but it never removed it from the bios before...what gives
here?

Jim