Or let it boot up and press ALT-F6 you'll be left at a text login...

Then press ALT-F1 to go to the primary console screen...

Login and type

killall xdm
killall kdm
killall gdm

Disregard any errors...

That will terminate the Xwindows session which is attempting to start...

Now run Xconfigurator to set up your video card.

-JMS