"aifusionextreme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       MIME Type: multipart/alternative
> Hi
>
> I jave succesfully installed mandrake 7.0 before but on smaller dirves. When
trying to install it on a 14 GB with only 1 partition, everything appears
fine, but once we reboot, instead of lilo I get a screen full of
'01010101010101 ......' for ever or until reboot.

> So I thought I would give Bootmagic a try ( comes with the macmillian
release ), but it says something about not liking a partition that is greater
than 1023 cylenders or something.

> Can anybody help me ascertain what restrictions there are for these boot
managers, what can be done to correct it, and are there alternatives ( free
ones ) that dont have these retricitons ?

> Thanks
How big is your windows partition (you must have one if you're going to try to
setup bootmagic)?  Lets say it's your first 4 gig.  Then reinstall (since you
haven't even gotten in yet) linux and this time create a small (10-12 meg)
/boot partition.  This will keep the necessary booting device below the 1024
limit (If your bios is typically configured).  This will probably be hda5.
Make sure that this is where you put lilo if you want to use bootmagic.  The
make your other partitions ( / + any others you'd like to keep separate).  Be
sure to make a boot disk this time.  Then go back into windows, install
bootMagic and set it up to dual boot.  It should automagically find your linux
booter and will default to that when linux is chosen at boot time.
HTH,
Mike

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
        -Benjamin Frankilin

http://webmail.netscape.com.