"aifusionextreme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<big snip>
> The only Clue is the size:
>
> Boot magic actually gives an error message which says that the primary
partition must be in the first 1023 cylnders. Why is cares about the rest of
the HD and not just the mbr I cant farthom. But there you have it. Since boot
magic wont install and lilo does but fails I assume they both cant handle
larger drives. When I installed before I had nice neat partitions around the
2-4 GB mark. I assume this didnt exceed the 1023 cylders option, assuming that
this is the cause. Currently I have a 14GB and a 40GB. Both exitbite the same
behavoiur.

> if any body with the no-how can help in confirming this theory or indictae
what limitations the software might have the Please Help. It is not just me as
you acan see from the posting.

> If there is a cyclionder limitation can you explain why a boot manager needs
to know about anythning but the mbr ?

> More importantly how can go about fixing this bug  ?

The size of the drive is NOT that critical, provided the boot sector is BELOW
the 1024 limit (usually about 8 gig).  Thus create a small (10-12 meg) boot
partition below that limit (entirely) and linux should boot just fine.
Caldera has included a new booter in their eDesktop 2.4 distribution that
evidently doesn't have this limitation.  My guess is that most distro will be
following suit with something similar in upcoming editions of their own
distros.
Mike

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol
than alcohol has taken out of me."
        --Winston Churchill

http://webmail.netscape.com.