ext3 filesystems don't need a defrag program because they don't become
fragmented (Well they do, but not more than a fraction of a percent) as for
scandisk, it's "fsck" or filesystem check. If you yank the cable out of the
wall, or power off your computer without shutting down, next boot time it
will automatically run fsck on the effected drives. This can take a long
time. (1-20 minutes)

ReiserFS to the rescue... an option on the 7.1 installation was to format
your partitions as ReiserFS. It is very similar to ext2 in performance and
near nill fragmentation, but is Journaled. In other words, keeps a record
of what is written so if the system is powered off without shutting down it
"knows where to look" for half written blocks on the disk thus making
filesystem checks take signifigantly less time (1-10 seconds)

-David Talbot