Mark Weaver wrote:

> yes, and yes.
>
> here is a link to a site where you can download a very configurable
> firewall great for beginners.
>
> http://www.pmfirewall.com/PMFirewall/
>
> --
> Mark
>
> I love my Linux Box....!
>         REASON #1 -- ...it's not Windows!
> Registered Linux user #1299563
>
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Vic wrote:
>
> >Is any firewall just for blocking ports or can it also
> >protect the needed open ones like ftp 21 www 80 and so forth?

I tried the mentioned firewall and once again I am feeling stupid. I
loaded it and immediately could not get Netscape to load .  It would
stall with only the stop sign and the frame showing.  I then
uninstalled and got my Netscape and mail back.  I must have set a
closed port or deny in the wrong place.  Again the documentation is
not set up for virtual dummies, but only for people who have alot of
experience either with  Linux or as programmers etc.  Anybody know
what a good set of setings would be and still allow Netscape access.
I keep looking for books and online documentation.  Nobody writes
Linux for Idiots, you have to be at least a dummy.     "Life is good,
just don't weaken"   Dennis

Registered Linux User  # 180842