On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Andrew Sharff wrote:

>I have just installed Mandrake 7.1 on my desktop PC (which is also running
>NT 4.0). I have two (hopefully) minor problems.
>
>Firstly, I have inadvertently installed the grub bootloader. Although NT
>will still boot through it, I would prefer to use lilo and have the NT
>bootloader boot linux.
>How can I remover grub so that the NT bootloader boots up first, not Grub?

Not sure about that, but I would say that running LILO (as root) should
set that up. But again, I don't know for sure since I don't have GRUB.

>Secondly, mandrake boots up fine and all appears well. However, it only
>thinks that the PC has 64Mb of RAM. In fact there are 512Mb RAM.
>How do I presuade Mandrake that the machine has 512MB RAM?

As root, edit /etc/lilo.conf, add the line

append="512M"

to it, run lilo  (or lilo -v for verbose mode), and that should do it
(once you have lilo running). In case not all memory is not seen then,
take off a few megs from the append line, RUN LILO AGAIN, and see what
happens. Sometimes system ram is used for shadow ram or additional video
memory.

Good luck
Paul

--