Adriaan,
        I didn't have any luck when I created the .xinitrc file so what I did
was created a link to /user/X11R6/bin/imwheel in my Autostart folder on
my desktop.
        But before it would work as user I had to give users permission to read
and write to /tmp/imwheel.pid
        I then restarted X and logged back in and it worked!  Good luck

        Trevor