>  I have been lurking and have noticed that many people have had trouble with
> installing V7.1.  I am not talking about burning CDs, etc, but rather with
> the actual installation.  I just ordered 7.1 and the CDs should be here
> shortly.  Question is, is it okay.  Seems like some have been having trouble
> with either X config, or not picking up something, or mouse problems, etc.

People will always have problems installing a distro. I've been lucky, I've
never had a major unfixable problem during the install. But I'm helping a
friend of mine trying to install 6.1 and he's having all sorts of trouble. It
just varies by the machine.

> Also, there was talk of problems with freeX86 V4, versus the established
> version.

The first time I tried it, it worked fine except for the mouse wheel. I
eventually found out how to get the mouse wheel to work, but by that time I was
stuck in 3.3.6. And then when I finally figured out how to get back to X 4.0,
the resolution was all screwed up and none of the X tools seemed to affect 4.0.
The second time I installed, 4.0 came up with too high a resolution again, and
now I couldn't get back to 3.3.6. So finally I just said screw it and went with
3.3.6. Basically, if your card is supported under 3.3.6, then go with 3.3.6.

>Should I install it over 7.0 (which is very well setup for me
> presently), or just do a fresh install?

Apparently there has been problems with installs taking forever (12 hours +) if
you decide to upgrade. So I'd suggest a fresh install.

Any thoughts from those who have

--
Anthony Huereca
http://m3000.1wh.com